Chick Peas with Herbs
This is a recipe that is inspired by dishes from the Caucasus, but my husband has informed me that he has never eaten one like it in Ossetia. He said that they don't really use chick peas very much there or in Georgia, but I have seen several Armenian recipes that use them. So I don't have an authentic-sounding name for this dish, considering that it's origin is in my kitchen in Texas. Chick Peas with Herbs will have to do for now. Any suggestions for a more imaginative name?
Here's what you need:
- 2 15 oz cans of chick peas (I actually only had one on hand and substituted cannellini beans, which are also known as white kidney beans. It turned out fine.)
- 1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes (you can also use fresh, but again, this was what I had on hand)
- 2 onions
- 6 garlic cloves
- parsley (large handful - 1.5 oz/45 g)
- cilantro (medium handful - 1 oz/30g)
- dill (small handful - 0.5 oz/15 g)
- tarragon (small handful - 0.5 oz/15 g)
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
That's it! Serve with mchadi, flatbread, crusty bread (basically, any kind of bread you like) and a little feta crumbled on top if you like.